Saturday, July 5, 2008

Guess who's back?

No, its not me. I know I haven't blogged in awhile, but this is about one of the greats making his way back to NASCAR. 49-year-old Mark Martin has announced he will be racing a full 2009 Sprint Cup schedule. And he will be doing so in the #5 Hendrick Chevy. 

I was very excited when I first heard the news. Martin has always been one of my favorites. Plus, he is going to be in the 5 car. That's kind of a big deal for me. I was a huge Geoff Bodine fan and I have great memories of him winning the Daytona 500 in the yellow and white Levi Garrett.  So, my first thought was how awesome it was going to be to be able to root for the 5 car again. Reliving the glory days!

Then it hit me.  How pathetic! Those days are over. There's no need to live in the past. Quite frankly, Martin should do the same. Honestly, it's a bit inconsiderate.  Martin was in his early 20's when he broke into the NASCAR Winston Cup scene. He earned his spot and proved he was worthy of being a NASCAR driver. Now it's time to give someone else that opportunity. Even though he never won a Championship in his 26 year career, he will always be considered one of the best the sport has ever seen. NASCAR is better off for having, but it's time to hang them up and let someone else take advantage of the same opportunities he had 26 years ago.

Don't even get me started on Brett Farve!



No comments: